Commons Personnel Advice Service

Revised 15 June 2010
Added: 27 January 2009

PAS – the Commons Personnel Advice Service – is primarily there to offer advice to Members but they will also respond to enquiries from MPs’ staff.  They have recently updated their information on the intranet and, if you haven’t spotted it yet, it’s worth checking out. There may be occasions when you will want to direct your boss in their direction. Here’s their page: This page is still being updated.

Here – below – is outline information on what PAS do and how to contact them and, below that, the list of areas on which they can offer advice.

If you are looking for information and advice on expenses, pay scales, contracts of employment etc, you need to look at the IPSA website:


Personnel Advice Service – What We Do

The Department of Resources provides a Personnel Advice Service (PAS) to assist Members of Parliament.  The aim of the service is to promote good employment practice and to provide sound and up to date advice and information on employment and personnel issues.

The unit:

  • Provides formal guidance to Members on key areas e.g. recruitment, redundancy, maternity and paternity rights, working time regulations.
  • Provides an ad hoc confidential advice service to Members on personnel issues.
  • Contribute to induction training and other Employment law related courses for new Members and their staff.

The unit will also respond to enquiries from Members’ staff about employment issues and provide them with factual information.

Provide information about the latest developments on employment law relevant to Members and their staff.

Provide Members and their staff with guidance and ad hoc advice on various aspects of Employment law and best practice.

Personnel Advice Service Contacts

The unit is located on the 3rd Floor of 7 Millbank.

For day to day queries please contact the PAS helpline on 0207 219 2080 or by emailing (

If you need to speak to a specific member of the unit please contact either Dapo Coker ( or Christine Jones (  A member of the team will be happy to discuss your query in person but it would be helpful if an appointment could be made first.


Welcome to the Personnel Advice Service

  • What We Do
  • How to Contact Us
  • Feedback

Where Can I Find Help On?


  • If you are planning to review your office arrangement please contact PAS for further details.

Work Experience Students

  • Guidance for Managers

Useful forms

  • Annual leave Record

Guidance/Fact Sheets

  • Guide to Facilities and Services for Members’ Staff
  • Guide to Rights to Flexible Working for Members’ Staff
  • Guide to Rights to Time Off for Union Officials and Union Learning Representatives
  • New Regulations on the Use of Employment Agencies
  • Proof of Right to Work in the UK
  • Adoption Leave & Pay for Members’ Staff
  • Maternity Leave & Pay for Members’ Staff
  • Paternity Leave & Pay for Members’ Staff



If you want to comment on this guide, or any of our other guides, please click on the FEEDBACK link below.